Subscribe to "Liz in Mali" to receive it via e-mail:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, June 17, 2010

First Impressions in Senegal

When I walked off the plane in Dakar, Senegal, my feet hit African soil -- actually, the African pavement of the runway -- for the first time. I was dreading the 12 hour lay-over that was ahead of me, but there was a cool breeze, surprisingly! I was so grateful the 109 degree Louisiana weather I left behind had prepared me for anything!

All of the passengers climbed onto the airport bus that took us a whopping 200 feet to the main terminal, and I waited for my 2 oversized bags that weighed in at 90 and 61 lbs., respectively. I was a little bit antsy: hoping my bags had made it through, not knowing what to expect from customs officials at 4AM, wondering how on Earth I was going to get through 12 hours at the airport with 151 lbs. of luggage, but then I saw my first Nike bag on the carousel. When I grabbed it, though, my trusty "Tulane Volleyball" bag tag had been replaced by a "Cal Berkeley Basketball" bag tag, then I realized that this particular suitcase belonged to the 7" tall Senegalese girl standing across the room from me. Mine came around a few minutes later, and I craned my neck to talk to the basketball player for a few minutes before going through the easy customs process, a.k.a. walking through the sliding doors.

At the departure terminal, I set myself up next to a pile of African cloth with my feet propped up on my stack of bags. A few minutes later, the cloth started moving and a perturbed old woman peeked out of the patterns and left the steel bench for me. The mosquitos were out and it was cold on the metal bench, so I put on a long sleeve hoody and wrapped my new insecticide-treated bandana around my neck (thanks, Dad!). Then I got sleepy, so I shimmied my bag cart so it was parallel to the bench, put the hoody over my head, the bandana over my face, and laid down with my legs hugging my luggage. The sloshes of a few young boys mopping woke me up a few hours later, and after I arose from my own pile of cloth they laughed at me and said: "Tu dors bien!"/"You sleep well!"

Good morning Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
These blogs are written on personal accounts and opinions of my near and far away adventures, so far. They do not in any way reflect the thoughts and opinions of the organizations with which I work.

Number of Active Subscribers:

Followers