Subscribe to "Liz in Mali" to receive it via e-mail:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, July 9, 2010

Polyester in Sub-Saharan Africa

A few weeks before I departed for Mali, I took a shopping road trip to Lafayette. I knew that my sister-in-law Jessica would take care of picking everything out, and that Mom would take care of footing the bill. Academy seemed like the best place to stock up on the necessities, and as is the McGehee way we started at the sale racks.


There, before our eyes, were light-weight, brightly colored Nike capris on sale for $14.99 each. Research had told me that Mali was a modest country and it would be in good taste to wear bottoms that cut off below the knee; that light-weight clothing would be best in such a hot climate. Personal experience was telling me that this was a great price for a Nike commodity at more than 50% off!


Jessica rightly picked out the grey and bright blue colors, saving me from my own style, which would have chosen something a little less à la mode. The capris went directly in my suitcase, and away we went across the globe.


I packed a t-shirt and wore the grey pair to work today so I’d be ever-ready for African dance class this evening. Throughout the day, I noticed that these light-weight pants sure made a lot of noise. The material rubbed to make “swoosh” noise when I walked, and then when brushed against the faux-leather chair I sat in for our office meeting made a “pfft” noise that could’ve made anyone think I’d eaten some “haricots” for breakfast.


On the drive to class that night, my American boss Claudia said there was nothing like some African dance after a long day at work. Cooped up at the office in front of my computer until 7:00PM, trying to quiet my pants all the while, I was hoping she was correct.


Three djembe players started their beats to get us warmed up, but any kind of movement I made damn near drowned the things out. Within the first few moves, I knew that noise wouldn’t be the only problem with my Nike capris: this “light-weight” material trapped heat and sweat. And then a third strike -- they had absolutely no give.


Our teacher, Lassain, explained that the base position of West African dancers was standing with your knees bent about 90 degrees. Already I felt doomed, bending of the knees seemed impossible without some kind of ripping consequence.


Lassain then said that in order to dance like a true Malian, you had to show more attitude. As an example, he flicked his head forward and back as he dipped his shoulder in and out with exaggeration. I thought that this could be my saving grace, giving a little more attitude because my pants weren’t giving me any room to move.


So I craned my neck this way and that, jutted my shoulders out with extra sass while I forced any necessary lower half movement out of my ankles rather than my knees. The head jerking coupled with my heat trapping pants got me sufficiently dizzy, which I’d like to use an excuse for forgetting some of the moves.


Nevertheless, I'll be back in class next week. Even if I am forced to wear the same pair of pants that has caused me such heat stroke and localized paralysis, while adding a constant murmur of 100% polyester to my life...I'll be there.

5 comments:

  1. Love this one, Jessica would be proud to know she is a fashion guru!!
    Love you,
    Aunt Leisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Aunty Leisa! Such a good idea to print out for Gaga, I'll have to get on my mom for not thinking of it first...:)

    Love you so much,
    Your favorite singer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth,

    Your experiences are giving me another education. Every post has been read and I just want you to know how much I care for you and hope you continue with your studies. When you write, I find a part of me. Thank you. Uncle Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Joe...it's so good to hear from you! I really, truly appreciate your kind words.

    In terms of my studies, I'm actually here in Mali as a practicum for my master's degree. After I write my public health analysis on some of the research I'm able to conduct, I'll have my Master in Public Health (MPH). Woohoo!

    Thank you so much for reading and replying.
    I miss you and love you!
    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz! I'm loving reading your everyday experiences you have encountered. Keep em coming! You are so smart and I'm learning so much from just reading these. We for sure thought we bad the best find ever with those pants, I remember us giggling to ourselves and vetting overly excited over them in the store! Glad to hear they are working out ;)))

    Love you and miss you!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
These blogs are written on personal accounts and opinions of my near and far away adventures, so far. They do not in any way reflect the thoughts and opinions of the organizations with which I work.

Number of Active Subscribers:

Followers